I arrived in Singapore a couple of days ago and I have to say: Singapore I missed you. I fell in love with Singapore on my last visit when spending a considerable time between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore and I have been missing it ever since.
My reasons for this are absolutely selfish:
- It is hot! I like warm and I have virtually no heat threshold beyond which I feel uncomfortable – ok, when I lived in Dubai, on some days it was a bit on the extreme side.
- It is clean and safe! Having some first hand experience with being robbed, I like safe.
- The food is great! You can get virtually any type of food that you desire. From pricey to cheap, from exotic to local.
- Travel! You can travel easily to a lot of exotic locations that are not completely ruined by over-commercialized tourism.
- The people are friendly and open! Nothing more to say.
- Diversity! You will see over the next two weeks that Singapore is extremely diverse.
Ok, there are also downsides. For example, Singapore is really expensive. I just paid S$10.60 for a Starbucks Cappuccino and an orange juice. So here are a few first shots from Singapore which depict the, say, more classical perspective on Singapore. Most of the pictures are taken around Clarke Quay, the Fullerton Hotel, and the Marina Bay Area; the smack center. Here is a map of the area
The lights. The area around the Bay Area and Clarke Quay is pretty colorful with lots of lights and interesting yet somewhat touristic food places.
The people. You will find a lot of people that bring drinks and food etc, just sitting at the water and enjoying the spectacle of the evening lights. The Marina Bay Sands hotel has regular laser shows (at least on the weekend) which illuminate the sky quite prominently (the bokeh is a bit on the ugly side: cheap glass…)
The atmosphere. One of my personal obsessions with black-and-white photography. I often feel that it captures the atmosphere in a more unique, less fleeting way.
Stay tuned for the next posts. I have quite a few things coming up soon…
Love the light and colours in the first pic. What’s the deal with the guy in the box (last b&w shot)
thanks a lot! It is also my favorite. Regarding the the guy with the box I think he wants to represent “Danbo”: http://www.amazon.com/Revoltech-Danboard-Danbo-Amazon-Figure/dp/B0072VTH4K
great shots you there esp the b&w captures! glad you like Singapore but it is really expensive place to live in…
thanks! yes i agree – it is very expensive